Australia the land of endless blue skies, beautiful beaches, stunning sunsets, month upon month of glorious heat & happy people mulling about they’re daily life. HA!… Well you couldn’t have foretold of the deluge of persistent rain & wind we are having.. I mean even Noah and his ark would be struggling to explain this years winter in WA!! For those that we haven’t already had a great big sucky whinge to, Its been week after week of severe weather warnings, flash flooding, extreme winds and oh MORE rain.. Whilst I whole heartedly thank the little rain god on behalf of my new garden and for the dam levels we need for the summers extremes.. WHAT THE HELL is going on?. Despite being in the house for a good eight months- It being water tight for much longer than that.. It has decided to test our already frayed n tired building nerves. 🙂 With a few leaks in our outdoor alfresco & more seriously in our living area downstairs. Now to be fair we had spotted some slight water markings to the ceilings, The glass balcony had taken a HUGE battering from the wind and actually cracked the tiles underneath but with it being Monsoon season Jon had opted to wait till spring before investigating further. That was until this..
Then one * absolutely pissing it down* Monday a few weeks ago whilst Jon was at the office up in the city. The water decided it had had enough and started dripping down the wall from under the corner of the cornice. Having rung Jon in a small flustery panic & applying a large selection of beach towels under the area in a small futile attempt to protect my wooden flooring.. He advised me to release the water as quickly as possible- limiting the further damage. So metal skewer in hand stood on top of the tv unit I started to obliterate the soaking cornice by poking holes along its edge.. It worked well and we had a steady stream of water now escaping the roof. BRILLIANT! It continued raining and pouring, Jon returned home and stuck his finger through it.. Then made a little hole… then made a bigger hole the kids all attempting to cover my eyes as they realise the horrified look upon my face, not to mention plasterboard mess on my freshly cleaned floor. That weekend Jon took all the flashing of and re did the whole roof, even though it was really stuck down well and he doubted it was coming from there.
I am ok with it really I am… Before the holes started getting bigger Jon had done all the usual suspects of roof.. The flashings, the seals, the windows, bricks, holes you name it he had tried it. It however firmly remained somewhat of a mystery as to where it could possibly be getting in. After all we had ourselves fitted the roof. Jon was overly keen on getting it just right as is in his nature, We just couldn’t fathom it! After every improvement or re do Jon crossed fingers and hoped we had fixed it, With the ceiling being so damp though we were unsure as to whether it was new wet or old?.
*The hole is actually considerably bigger than the pictures now, in another attempt to look into the cavity to locate the source- Just can’t bring myself to take more photos 🙂
Well the weather continued its relentless outbursts and Jon decided he could either take the ceiling down inside, take the flashings and the whole roof off or he could take a layer of bricks out from under our bedroom window and see what he could from there. This being my preferred choice we went with the latter. Jon had to wait for a break in the clouds and dash out, get it off without damaging too many bricks, look at it, fix it then re seal it all before it rained again!!
The culprit seemed to be the outer layer of bricks filling up the holes inside with water then seeping through the mortar and bricks down into the cavity. Jon sucked out the debris and water and resealed it with some plastic flashing, silicone and stuck the hell out of it. This also included filling every last bit of the cavity with expanding foam so it couldn’t possibly get in there..but escape through the weep holes either side of the roof. All we needed now were some replacement bricks and he could patch it back up. Well this would have worked a treat had the weather bureau not announced we were in line of not one but THREE weather fronts crossing over us that weekend. Winds in excess of 125 kms were expected with another huge amount of rain.. GREAT thanks for that. 🙂 The first two came and went, little bit breezy but hey were good. The third never showed up?.. that was until six hours after predicted. Its dark & raining, the water is back the flashing if flapping and Jon is outside on a ladder putting bricks on it to hold it down. Monday morning again (what is it with Mondays)? Jon is in the office and the wind is howling except now we have a new noise! where the bricks have come out below the window its slightly unsupported the window ( in as much as its not quite as wedged in as it was) the 125 km winds are gusting and the top of the window is flexing back and forth on the eaves… REALLY?? ANYTHING ELSE?? We have wedged it for now and as soon as the weekend comes round again we will have bricks back under it. *Fingers crossed.
Jon came home Tuesday night from work armed with Whackaflex * which for those in the UK its like a plastic strip with super sticky strips down both sides. When I say plastic its thick and bendy and despite not being, it has the same weight and feel of a lead flashing. Anyway this is what he was looking for in the first place when he did his second repair, but as we gave ours to Kevin and it costs $200 a roll, we had tried the option we had in stock first. So armed ready to wage war with the roof he shot out and has made what looks like a winning hit.?.. watch this space when it dries up we will know and maybe be able to start fixing the ceiling.